Abercrombie & Fitch Opens 3 Stores in Canada

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr.x, Jan 21, 2006.

1. mr.x

mr.x Full Member

Jan 20, 2006

U.S. fashion retailer Abercrombie & Fitch Co. opened its first three stores in Canada yesterday, bringing its hip but pricey casual styles to a market known for its thrifty consumers.

In its first foray outside of the United States, Abercrombie launched one store under its namesake and two Hollister outlets -- which carry less expensive lines -- in the Toronto area, enjoying a "massive" response, said Tom Lennox, spokesman for the company.

"It exceeded our expectations tenfold," he said. "It's huge."

It plans another A&F in Toronto and one A&F and a Hollister in Edmonton this year, bringing to six the number of stores in Canada this year. "If the response continue as it has in the first day, we think there is a huge opportunity," he said.

To read more of this story, go to:

Please login or register to view links
  2. jadore_dior

jadore_dior Full Member

Abercrombie is not really my style but it\'s nice to know that we\'ll have more selections.

I don\'t totally agree with the article about how \"penny pinching Canadians\" might not make Abercrombie a wise choice in opening in Canada.

Aren\'t we the ones who spend hundreds of dollars on gym wear? I can\'t see Americans wanting to spend $100 on Lululemon type yoga stuff unless they are celebrity wannabees. =)
  3. natpell

natpell Full Member

where are these 3 new stores???

i for one loe a&f, but find hollister a much better choice for my price range.
  4. pattypus

pattypus Full Member

Aw, no Vancouver one. :( Darn.

Oh well, I can just drive to Bellisfair. :p
  5. moufafa

moufafa Full Member

are there gonna be any opening in vancouver?
  6. pattypus

pattypus Full Member

Well, since they opened some in other Canadian cities, then I would imagine that they\'d open one in Vancouver! Let\'s hope so. :p
  7. phatfreak

phatfreak Full Member

ok I know i\'m wayy late to post here
    but it\'s just that it\'s been SIX MONTHS since this topic has
    been posted and still no A&F in vancouver?!?!
    i\'m shattered:(
  8. karebear

karebear Full Member

i duno.. but i like keeping abercrombie and hollister down in the states. that way, not everyone has it when you come back to vancouver with abercrombie or hollister stuff.
  9. tamara

tamara Full Member

i like keeping it in the states too...gives me another reason to go to the states to shop!!!!:laugh:
  10. teeteetiffy

teeteetiffy Full Member

i love af and hollister stuff but the ceo is a prick. he doesn\'t want \'normal\' people to wear it and yet all those people he deems not good enough to wear his stuff are buying all his stuff up. totally irrelevant to this topic but i felt like venting. buddy is like 60 and he\'s wearing his stuff. dude should wear armani and give up the college duds.
  11. phatfreak

phatfreak Full Member

krean wrote:
    thats actually true. I wouldnt want it to be like the new TNA over here. dont get me wrong, i like some TNA. I just hate how EVERYONE has it.:S
  12. pandalover

pandalover Ultimate Deal Queen

i agree with you phatfreak :)
  13. pandalover

pandalover Ultimate Deal Queen

i agree with you phatfreak :)
  14. princessice

princessice Full Member

ugh, i hate how really young kids wear brands like hollister and tna
    i mean, it totally doesnt suit their age...
    i dunno, it just gets on my nerves...i work at playland, and every single day, i see 10 year old kids wear tube tops and the shortest shorts u can find in stores
  15. phatfreak

phatfreak Full Member

I totally agree. I hate seeing those little girls
    with tna and bebe etc. and acting like their all
    grown up and dressing like their in high school
    or something. Its such a waste cause they should be
    out there being the kids that they are
    instead of acting like teenagers, you\'ll get that chance when
    you\'re older:pinch:
  16. pattypus

pattypus Full Member

My friend has a cousin in grade 1 who wears all TNA. :pinch:
  17. teeteetiffy

teeteetiffy Full Member

you know all the construction at pc? i heard that hollister and a&f are going to be there once it\'s finished. hollister, a&f and a bigger holts. that\'s just crazy talk.
  18. xXx-cutay

xXx-cutay New Member

i'd rather just have it in the states....we have ae here in canada whcih is somewhat similar. but i dont own a single thing from there.
  19. jenn_

jenn_ Full Member

I don't mean to be a kill-joy but I'd like to bring up the topic of A&F's racial hiring practices.

If you just do a simple search, you'll find tons of articles, books, and personal forum postings of people being discrimated against when applying for a job because they're not "Caucasian, football-looking, blond hair, blue-eyed males. Skinny, tall. You don't see any African American, Asian Americans" (Jennifer Lu, former salesperson, as per interview by CBS news).

Just some articles for general knowledge:

The Look Of Abercrombie & Fitch

40 Million Paid to Class Members in December 2005 in Abercrombie & Fitch Discrimination Lawsuit Settlement
    ------------------

I know it's not exactly related to shopping, but I just want to encourage people to find out and know exactly where their dollars are going and what causes/practices it supports.

Plus Canadian companies are being squeezed out by American big box retailers! Shop locally! :p Hehehee...now I sound like a hippie!
  20. moufafa

moufafa Full Member

Im just wondering has there been similar complaints at hollister bcuz i dont shop at A&F any way but i love Hollister