Ask all your makeup & skincare questions here!

Discussion in 'Makeup/Skin' started by kaori- makeup artist & esthetician, Oct 27, 2005.

1. :p

Post edited by: ryan, at: 2005/10/27 15:30

Post edited by: ryan, at: 2005/10/27 15:52
  2. Can you give me tip on how to make eyes look biger?
  3. Kaori

Kaori Guest

Here are some tips to make your eyes appear larger. Line the top lid as close to the lash line as possible and extend the line a little past the outter part of the eye. Use a lengthening and volumizing mascara to define the eyes and highlight underneath the eyebrow (browbone) with a pearly white or cream color to \"open\" the eyes. Hope this helps =)
  4. Nicky

Nicky Guest

this is kind of wierd but I have this problem with my right side eyelashes. For some strange reason they right side always clumps. I can\'t figure out why this is happening. Please help :blush:
  5. kaori

kaori Guest

hi nicky...maybe try using a lash seperating mascara and before the mascara dries, use a lash comb... run it from the roots to the tip and that should help.

;)
  6. memememe

memememe Guest

my skin type is combination. and it can get SUPER oily. it\'s disgusting. but after i use proactiv to wash my face everyday it becomes dry. and depending on weather or whatever it usually gets very oily midway through the day. and if i stop using proactiv i breakout. and there\'s always this redness on my skin even when i use proactiv. how can i fix my horrible skin dilemma? thanks
  7. Kaori

Kaori Guest

Dear: memememe

I have to say that a lot of people have the same problem when using pro-active. It\'s very strong and contains high amounts of salacylic acid which tends to dry out your skin. So what\'s happening with your skin is that by using something so drying and so strong you are completly taking away all the oils on your face.. that may sound good having oily skin but..for your skin to stop producing excess amounts of oil you need to make it comfertable. If you keep drying out your skin, in return your skin will produce ever more oil to make up for the dryness.

Try using a light moistruizer for the day and something a little heavier at night and don\'t forget to exfolliate with a gentle scrub 2-3 times a week to get rid of the flakyness.

The redness is probably there becuase your skin is becomming sensitive with all the drying products used on your skin.

What are you currently using to cleanse, tone and moisturize? and are you using an exfolliant and mask?

I hope this helps. hope to hear your answers then I can recommend some products for you to try.
  8. tamster

tamster Guest

Hi Kaoki,

The problem I have is totally the same as memememe. But since I have my acne for a long time, now I have scar on my face and no foundation can cover the redness on both of my cheek. I have been using proactiv too and my skin get dry. But I don\'t know what kind of product I can use without bringing back the acne. I have oily skin so I kind of afraid using product that I don\'t know and will have acne again. So do you have any recommendation about a good product for acne skin or any kind of makeup product I can use? Thank you
  9. mememe

mememe Guest

thanks for the info. it makes me seem like i have hope to fix this horrible skin. well i have the 3 step wahtever process proactiv set thingy. the toner, cleanser, and the lotion thing.
    but then again when i stopped using proactiv, my skin got SOOOO bad, it was like redness, and breakouts and it was just horrible. because i got this phytomer cleanser, toner sample thingy i used that when i stopped proactiv and it totally did NOT work for me. but i think i\'ll definately try buying a good moisturizer now thanks. so i guess the proactiv lotion doens\'t count as moisturizer.
    then i\'m not using any moisturizer at all. i dont use exfoliators. and i use to use the praoctiv mask once in a blue moon during summer but i stopped because i got busy/lazy.
  10. Kaori

Kaori Guest

Dear Tamster,

If proactive is working for you to keep the acne down, I suggest keep using it but use a moisturizer with Vitamin E which will help to heal the skin. I also suggest you use an exfolliant that will smooth out the skin and keep the pores from clogging.

As for the redness there is a makeup line sold at the bay called \"dermablend\". It works wonders for acne scars and birthmarks. The only thing is that you have to make sure you exfolliate the skin 2-3 times a week to keep it from flaking and to use a moisturizer otherwise the dermablend will look very heavy.

I hope this helps! Keep in touch!
  11. Kaori

Kaori Guest

dear memememe

I checked out the ingredients for the Proactive lotion and to be honest.. it doesn\'t have any moisturizing ingredients in it. So what i suggest you do is keep using the proactive cleanser, toner, and lotion... but as well use a light moisturizer with soothing ingredients such as aloe vera (which will soothe the skin) and Vitamin E (which will heal scars and nourish the skin)

It\'s important to use an exfolliant and a scrub 2-3 times a week as it keep the pores clean. Since you are using pro-active I suggest using a mild exfolliant and a moisturizing mask (as the proactive is already doing enough purifying)

Try this.. i hope it works for you! Feel free to ask anymore questions you have =)
  12. mememe

mememe Guest

wow thanks! i\'m definately going to do that now. thanks a billion! i always thought my skin was unsavable.. your my hero!.. i hope it works. :)

well just one more question... do you have any recommended moisturizers or exfoliators/moisturizing masks? or no?
  13. kaori

kaori Guest

Mememe

Here are some products you can try:

Moisturizer: Dermalogica\'s \"active moist\" which is light weight and will help restore the natural balance of oil.

Exfolliant: Dermalogica\'s \"skin prep scrub\"
    has natural Corn Cob Meal and soothing botanicals that polish away dulling dead skin cells without over-stimulating.

Mask: Dermalogica\'s \"multivitamin power recovery masque\" which is a Super-concentrated antioxidant vitamins and botanicals dramatically calm and reduce the redness associated with stressed over processed skin.

OR

If your on a budget try:

Moisturizer: the Body shop\'s \"Vitamin E day cream for normal/oily skin\". It will help with the scarring and calm the redness down.

Exfolliant: \"The Body shops soy and callendula scrub\"

Mask:\"Vitamin E sink in Moisture mask\" Soothes calms and cools red stressed skin. Also helps heal and nourish the skin. Here\'s a tip: you can leave this in the fridge so it lasts longer and cools even faster!

I hope this helps! Give it a try!
  14. thanks kaori! i love this topic.. i used some of the tips you suggested and they worked!! thank you thank you sooooo much!!
    :p
  15. Tiana

Tiana Guest

kaori. I had my legs waxed a couple of weeks ago and i\'m starting to notice some bumps. They look like ingrown hairs. How do I get rid of them? They look so gross. Any response will be appreciated!!!:(
  16. kaori

kaori Guest

Tiana,
    I suggest you go back to your esthetician or dermatologist and have them take a look at it. It most likely is ingrown hairs. Your esthetician will probably recommend you use a body scrub or an exfolliating towel to free the trapped hair for removal. Ingrown hairs often happen with waxing as the hair is now starting to grow back but is too weak to pierce the top layer of the skin and instead curls back towards the hair root and forms a bump on the skin.

I hope this helps =)
  17. Vivi

Vivi Guest

Kaori,
    I had acne all thru out my high school years. I don\'t break out as much now. There are still acne scars on my face that won\'t go away. Is there any way/products I could use to lighten the scars?
    I have really sensitive skin and it is oily in the T-Zone. I wash my face with water only cuz I don\'t know what products I are right for me. Do you recommend any products line for sensitive skin?
    Thanks,
    Vivi
  18. kaori

kaori Guest

Hi Vivi,

One thing I might suggest is a procedure called \"microdermabrasion\" which is a skin-freshening technique that helps reduce signs of aging and acne scars. The doctor uses a device like a fine sandblaster to spray tiny crystals across the face, mixing gentle abrasion with suction to remove the dead, outer layer of skin.

Since your skin is sensitive you first might want to try to use an exfolliant which will gently remove the dead skin and within time decreases acne scars.

Some products which i recommend for senstive skin are:

Dermalogica: ultracalming cleanser for face and eyes, Soothing protction spray (toner),gentle cream exfolliant,Skin hydrating masque, barrier repair moisturizer.

G.M Collin: Royal Jelly cleansing milk, isotonic lotion (toner), exfozyme (exfolliant), hydramucine cream mask, sensiderm cream.

The Body Shop: Soy and Calendula cream cleanser, soy and calendula toner,soy and calulendula exfolliant, Vitamin E moisture mask, Soy and calendula daily moisturizer.

you can find out the closest retailer for the above products at:

Please login or register to view links

I would recommend to try and get your skin to not be as sensitive then work on the oily t-zone.

Thank you for your question and please keep in contact.
  19. Ruby

Ruby Guest

Hi, well... a part of my face has a white spot its kind of like birth mark or albino you could say. What kind of products could I use to cover it up. Would I need to apply layers of foundation, and other stuff? How could I solve this problem?

Thank you.
  20. kaori

kaori Guest

Hi Ruby, it sounds like you have vitiligo, which means that this specific part of your skin lacks something called melanin. what you can do is use a concealer that matches your skin tone exactly and just apply that on the patch, or you can use a foundation with a heavier coverage and apply that on the whole face. if your vitiligo is serious, you can use a product called cover fx or dermablend. dermablend is sold at the bay.... i hope that helps!
    :)