BEST ALARM CO\'S

Discussion in 'Apparel & Shopping' started by HarajukuLover, Apr 6, 2006.

1. HarajukuLover

HarajukuLover Full Member

I need your advice everyone :( I\'m havin problems with our annoyin house alarm company. Da incoherent rep doesn\'t speak English fluently so I had problems understandin 2 of da reps today via telepone. Remind me never to use an Asian-owned alarm company!!! :angry: :angry: :( :unsure: :S :angry: :angry:

I ended up losing it over da phone :( HELP! Can anyone recommend me a reliable GOOD alarm company? :(
  2. Sales! Sales! Sales!

Sales! Sales! Sales! Full Member

Doesn\'t seem like any member on Mallhours.com install alarm systems. Personally I use BEST SECURITY company. Don\'t any of you have alarm systems???? :whistle:
  3. jadore_dior

jadore_dior Full Member

Mine is Honeywell.. i think.. i\'ll have to double check... NO.. wait it\'s ADT.
  4. 604Jase

604Jase Full Member

I use Brinks home security system. I\'m surprised no one else on mallhours.com uses a house alarm. Dangerous.
  5. RichardWilinski

RichardWilinski Full Member

House Alarm Investigation

Every year home owners spend billions of dollars on elaborate alarm systems to protect their valuables and loved ones. But do those systems always work? INSIDE EDITION’s Matt Meagher investigates allegations that a mother of four was murdered after an alarm system supplied by the number one security company in the country failed. The company says that its alarm system was not to blame for the woman's death.
    [​IMG]

ADT is the largest home security company in the country, with systems in more than five million homes.

Teri Lee, a widowed mother of four, turned to ADT to keep her family safe. Her family says that turned out to be a tragic mistake.

Teri feared for her life because she and her children were being stalked by her ex-boyfriend, Steven Van Keuren. She was in tears when she complained to the police saying, “It's creepy to have somebody following you home even if you do know the person.”

Just two months after Teri complained to police, Van Keuren turned violent, attacking Teri in her new home in an affluent Minneapolis suburb. He was charged with assault and making terroristic threats.

In his interrogation by police, Van Keuren says “I might have,” when asked if he told Teri he was going to kill her.

After only a few days in jail, Van Keuren was released on bail.

Just two days after his release, Teri bought what she thought was the best security system money could buy, from ADT, for more than $2,400. Teri's sister Vicki says the system helped her feel safe. “We believed in that system. I think that's the only reason why anyone of us slept at night,” Vicki tells INSIDE EDITION. “We felt she and her children were protected.”

The security system included motion sensors, glass break detectors and a cellular radio back-up to alert ADT to call police in case the phone lines were cut. Her sister says Teri thought any intrusion would lead to an instant alarm. According to Vicki, “Every door, every window, every nook and cranny of her home was protected by her ADT system.”

She also had her boyfriend, Tim Hawkinson, a trained marksman,stay at the house with a gun by their bed.

“All they needed was a warning,” Vicki says. “Tim was armed. He had a gun, and they were ready.”

But it wasn't long before their worst fears came true. In the middle of the night Teri’s stalker snuck up to the side of the house and used wire clippers to cut the phone lines. Teri's family says no alarm went off. He broke a glass door with a crowbar and walked up the stairs past two motion detectors, and still, her family says, no alarm sounded.

He then ran into Teri’s bedroom and started firing, killing Teri and her boyfriend.
    Her terrified little boys hid in a closet. Her two daughters fled out the front door, finally, they say, triggering an alarm. 12-year-old Taylor described the scene to a 911 operator: “He was just whacking bullets everywhere…and I think he got my mom's boyfriend too. I think he's dead.”

Taylor tells INSIDE EDITION, “(The alarm system) failed. It didn't do what it was supposed to do. They screwed up.”

Vicki, who is now raising her sister's four children in addition to her own, is suing ADT, accusing the company of fraud and false advertising. Her lawyer, Bill Harper, says Teri’s alarm system was not properly designed, installed or programmed.
    When the phone line was cut, according to the lawsuit, a siren should have sounded. Security expert Jeff Zwirn says the alarm should have been activated instantly, and he says, that's not all that went wrong.

Zwirn, who was hired by Vicki's lawyer to give expert testimony for the lawsuit, tested Teri’s security system. He says it failed catastrophically.

According to Zwirn, “The control panel failed. The radio failed. The glass break sensor failed. The motion (sensors) failed.” Incredulous, he says, “What else could fail? I mean it was almost like the system wasn't even installed.”

ADT denies the allegations in the lawsuit and says while they are “saddened by the tragedy,” the security system was “not to blame.”

In court papers, the company also cites their contract, which limits their liability to just $500, and says that's even if the system fails due to ADT’s "gross negligence."
    But complaints about ADT go well beyond just one tragic case.

In exclusive Bel Air, California, some of Hollywood's heaviest hitters say the company has failed to protect their homes.

Former studio executive Sherry Lansing and her husband, Oscar® winning director, William Friedkin, were burglarized despite their $25,000 ADT system. They've filed a class action lawsuit. It claims burglars "intentionally targeted" homes with ADT signs because of the company's "deficient home security services and response times."

ADT denies that allegation, claiming the Los Angeles Police say it’s not true.

ADT says the couple's alarm system did not fail, but in a letter to INSIDE EDITION, ADT says an employee "did not follow established policies and procedures."

To see what ADT might be promising potential customers INSIDE EDITION invited an ADT salesman to discuss a security system for a house and taped the appointment on hidden camera.

The salesman promised the system he was designing was basically burglar proof.
    “They cut power you have back-up. They cut phone lines you have back up. I mean it's pretty much burglar proof if you do a radio back-up,” he tells our homeowner. “There's nothing else they could do.”

Jeff Zwirn, the alarm expert hired to testify in Vicki's lawsuit, says he is disappointed by the INSIDE EDITION hidden camera footage. “It's real baloney,” he tells INSIDE EDITION of the salesman’s claims. “He's making representations that are way beyond the scope of how these systems function.”

As for Teri’s children, her sister says they may never feel safe. “Obviously there's one man that pulled the trigger and I know that…but ADT gave him a clear path right up to her bedroom,” she says. “They might as well have opened the door for him.”

ADT says it has an "unparalleled record" in helping to safeguard millions of customers’ homes. The company says it is investigating the claims made by the sales representative featured in INSIDE EDITION’s report. They say they take seriously any violations of their guidelines and "will take appropriate action” once they verify the facts in the case.