Guu Izakaya Reviews

Discussion in 'Food & Restaurants' started by RichardWilinski, Mar 2, 2006.

1. RichardWilinski

RichardWilinski Full Member

Guu is another cozy Japanese tapas restaurant to check out. They serve up authentic & unique Japanese tapas dishes to satisfy even the most finicky of tastebuds. The place is consistently busy with a steady stream of hungry customers. Yum! :woohoo:
  2. taremi

taremi Full Member

here is their homepage!
    Please login or register to view links

i like the guu down on robson, near deman. its the coziest, and i like the atmosphere!
  3. canido

canido Full Member

I like the guu on Gastown..it\'s so kewl to walk around there and be part of that atmosphere. it\'s GOOD food alright, just a little bit small in portions..but tha\'ts how tapas are i guess! =)
  4. RichardWilinski

RichardWilinski Full Member

If you\'re into tapas, you may wanna check out LA BODEGA downtown on Howe St. They have a cozy, dim ambiance and serve up tasty Spanish tapas dishes *stomach growling now*
    :pinch:

Post edited by: richardwilinski, at: 2006/03/02 17:33
  5. xsalesjunkiex

xsalesjunkiex Full Member

just came back from guu and ordered:

chicken karage
    baked oysters with cheese
    edamame (green beans)
    okonomiyaki (japanese style pizza)

favorites:

korokke (potato things)
    ahi tuna roll (imported red tuna) <-- the best!!
    beef carpaccio (beef sashimi with onions and sauce)

beers

6. ceeeee01

ceeeee01 Full Member

has any1 tried???

i really like their fish cakes.. and those squid balls!!
  7. its spelled GUU!!! yah been there many many mannnny times lol. we went there evry day 5 days in a row last month lol!!! got kinda bored of it lo. btw theres another guu on thurlow too.
  8. choco

choco New Member

There's actually 3 Guu's. The 2 Guu's on Robston and Thurlow are very similar, perhaps except one of them serves the kimchi fried rice and the other one doesn't. (or other differences that I don't remember :p )

The one in gastown is pretty different because it serves quite a lot of japanese cocktails and it's a fusion restaurant compared to the more traditional approach of the other two. Actually you could see that in its decoration before you start ordering.

Just a note.... I have no idea why others always say that dining at Guu is very cheap. For two person, we always end up with at least $70-80 with one or two drinks each person (in all locations). I don't know, but perhaps we are just big eaters :p

Guu with Otokamae- - 105-375 Water Street - (604) 685-8682
    Please login or register to view links - - 838 Thurlow Street - (604) 685-8817
    Please login or register to view links- - 1698 Robson Street - (604) 685-8678
  9. ceeeee01

ceeeee01 Full Member

really?? hahah it is quite cheap.. the rice already fills me up and it is like 8 bucks
  10. rokumi

rokumi New Member

i love everything from Guu.. :laughing: but hafta order quite alot in order to be full~
  11. Friendster

Friendster Full Member

Right after shopping @ Metropolis, I rushed downtown to meet my family for dinner at Gyu Teppanyaki on Burrard & Alberni (2nd floor right next to Shabusen). I've been here many times before and each time is good service :smile:
  12. VyNguyen

VyNguyen Full Member

ohh so thats the restaurant infront of shabusen. i never went there before, what kind of food do they sell? any suggestions? haha
  13. Friendster

Friendster Full Member

Hi VyNguyen,

Well, Gyu doesn't 'sell' food, they 'serve' food. hahaha :p Gyu serves teppanyaki which is type of Japanese cuisine that uses an iron griddle to cook food. The word teppanyaki is derived from teppan which means iron plate, and yaki which means grilled. In North America it is also known by the name of hibachi.

Typical ingredients used for teppanyaki are beef, shrimp, scallops, lobster, chicken and assorted veggies. Soybean oil is typically used to cook the ingredients. In Japan, many teppanyaki restaurants feature Kobe beef. Another popular dish served at a teppanyaki restaurant is okonomiyaki which is also cooked on the griddle. Side dishes of mung bean sprouts, zucchini, garlic chips or fried rice usually accompany the meal. Some restaurants provide sauces in which to dip the food; usually, in Japan, only soy sauce is offered but at Gyu there's a selection of 3 different sauces to choose from.

I've been to different teppanyaki restaurants and some of the chefs will perform a show for you like juggling utensils, flipping a shrimp into his shirt pocket or white chef's hat, tossing an egg up in the air and splitting it with his knife to a flaming onion volcano.:D
  14. jenny831221

jenny831221 New Member

Thanx for the post.
    I'll go try Gyu tomorrow with my BF~ :p
  15. Friendster

Friendster Full Member

Jenny, remember to order the goose liver. You won't regret it :smile:
  16. roxXxy85

roxXxy85 Full Member

where's gyu with garlic?

and such good food but so expensive

but they do have al you can eat beef for lunch only

but i love that restaurant. my favourite restaurant in vancouver.
  17. BlusH*

BlusH* Elite Member

one of my fave places to eat
    they baked oysters with cheese is a MUST eat!
    i had this deep fried squid ring the other night, and that tasted really good too.
    Generally order the smaller dishes, stay away from the bigger rice/noodles dishes, i don't find them good. I think last time we had the seafood baked rice, something like that, and it wasn't that good