hair straightening

Discussion in 'Apparel & Shopping' started by Jennalynn_5366, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Jennalynn_5366

Jennalynn_5366 New Member

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has done any japanese hair straightening on their hair. I\'ve always used a straightening iron that works well but I\'m starting to see some frizzies and I want soft, smooth, shiny hair...just like the ones I see on the hair straightening ads.

Are there any pros and cons?

Post edited by: jennalynn_5366, at: 2006/03/22 02:54
  2. pattypus

pattypus Full Member

I know someone who got Japanese straightening. She said that for the first few days her hair looked horrible, because it was so straight.(does that make sense?) and then she said for the rest of the year it looked great.

I don\'t know any pros or cons, but it\'s expensive, but since it stays for a year (or more!) it would be worth it. :)
  3. canido

canido Full Member

Be careful of where you go to get it straightened because some places use cheap chemicals that would ruin your hair in the long run (it gets frizzy and fried).

Also after getting it straighted for a while, there might be spikes of hairs on the scalp ..that\'s how your hair will grow.

But yeah, i have a lot of friends who straighted their hair. Some of them, their hair stays perfectly nice whilst others get really horrible hair after the straightening affect has gone.
  4. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

Oooo i wanted to get my hair Japanese straightened but then I got like advice from my friends, in which work at the salon. They said that my hair was blonde (only like 2nd time) but it was bleached so that i shouldnt do it bc that would break my hair off and it would damage it alot. So i never tried. I still want to though.
  5. mk04

mk04 Full Member

a couple of my friends have gotten their hair chemically straightened. the pro: it looks good and no straightening iron! i think it depends but it usually lasts about 6-12 months. and the con... when ur hair starts growing out (about .5 inch every month) i heard theres a lot of problems because obviously ur new hair at the roots isnt straightened, so you\'ll always have to straighten the roots which can be very damaging to your hair. also it sometimes looks weird even after you straighten the roots because you can see the difference, but thats if your hair was really wavy/frizzy prior to japanese straightening. but its all worth it if you\'re willing to get it done again or dont mind some straightening, otherwise chemical straightening looks really good tho and most of my friends were quite happy! as for the bleach and damage.. just call a salon and ask, they\'ll have the best advice. goodluck;)
  6. Jennalynn_5366

oh jeez, i think i mihgt be good with the straightening iron :) Thanks for all the help guys! I was thinking about what my hair would look like straightened with roots growing it..not that pretty and I bet it\'s expensive ot keep up. so, verdict in: no japanese hair straightening!
  7. my friend came to school one day and there was something different about her? and as i guy i couldn\'t really tell until her friends went nuts on how straite it is and started spazzing out .. yeah now i notice it LOL she got a \"magic straite\" done at a salon and it looks pretty good actually.. >_<

hey just for u to know --> those ads/commericals prolly used sum kinda computer brush up tool to visually enhance hair.

My thoughts: just get it done. u only live once anyways. if u don\'t liek it u learn from it and never do it again. lesson learned but if u like are satisfied then u feel good knowing that u didn\'t miss out on something good..
  8. Jennalynn_5366

yea I guess...but I also have only so much hair! HEhe just for thoughts,does anyone know a good place to get it done? I don\'t want to come out bald or anything and I dunno what kind of places...like the actual japanese ones? or chinese? or does it matter...I\'m thinkig since it\'s japanese...better let then do it just cuz. I don\'t know if placs like Chatters do this.
  9. fro

fro Full Member

i had friend that got it done (japanese style) turned out real well..it was a lil dry luking for the first week but then it went normal..duno y tho..but yah she doesnt dye her hair..if she did i dunt wann kno what wud happen lol..not a good idea unless u dunt dye ur hair den its no biggy as long as its a reliable place!
  10. samantha

samantha Full Member

it depends on where u get it done and who does it for u cuz its not just about getting it done and then leaving it, cuz then after its all about maintaining it. u don\'t want it dry or nething. and if the person knows what they\'re doing, then it\'ll be fine. the other reason why some place are so cheap is cuz they do it so fast or the solution is only okay. the actual procedure for jap straigtening is about 4-5 hrs depending on hair length, texture, and thickness:kiss:
  11. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

The price also depends on the lenght and thickness of your hair=)
  12. triscuities

triscuities New Member

It also depends on the persons hair. I\'ve had it done 3 times now in the past 5 years. I absolutely love it. You dont have to worry when you wake up in the morning, you can sleep with your hair wet, its smooth, silky, not frizzy at all - its definately a time saver.
    I have unusual hair for a Chinese person - its thick, frizzy, curly, kinky, dry looking - just awful. partly b/c i dont know how to take care of it. I heard that Japanese Straighening doesnt work well on Asian hair...but if you try chemically straightening it (they are 2 different processes...the Jap Straighening has a couple more steps to it) I heard that it works better.
    But dont forget, it all depends on the type of hair you have.
    The downsides to this is that depending on again the type of hair and the length/thickness of it, it could take up to 5 hours. I have gotten it done with different lengths each time, but it took around 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hrs. and then you cant wash it for a few days so the chemicals set. Its exactly like perming your hair, only instead of putting in the curlers/rollers they straighten your hair. Also, b/c you cant wash your hair right after, you\'re left with the smell of chemicals, which you get used to. But soon as you start washing it, it fades.
    Also, soon as it starts to grow out, your curly/frizzy/dry hair will start to grow as well...so you should still keep your straighening iron - use the ceramic ones if you dont already =)

But definately well worth it. Check out different places, different prices b/c each place varies, sometimes by quite a bit. It honestly isnt as bad as everything thinks it is.

Oh yeah, if you color your hair, I would suggest growing it all out first (dont strip it) before getting it straightened. Its never a good idea to mix chemicals. My aunt got it straightened overtop her dye job, and it completely stripped the color into something nasty. b/c the chemicals mixed, it also ruined her straightening job.
    Just a little warning =)

But in my opinion - I love it. Its fantastic =)
    Hope that helped...(even if its such a late post haha)
  13. tnaritzia

tnaritzia New Member

i got japanese ionic straightening last year. your hair looks terrible the first couple of days. its so straight and thin... it plasters to ur face, making your face look fat. when i got it done, they said its supposed to make ur hair softer, shinier, and healthier. however, it actually didnt change my hair texture at best, and damaged it at worst. also, i know a couple of ppl who have gotten it done... and u can SO TELL. its so obvious they got it straightened, cus it looks kinda fried and devoid of volume. sigh, i wouldnt waste that $600 if i were you. :S but then again, i guess u\'ll never get it outta ur head unless you try it... so its ur call!
  14. angelmx6

angelmx6 Full Member

I had Jap hair straightening 4 times in the past 5 years, and I love it! My hair looked like those hair in shampoo commercial when I had Jap straightening for the first time, and it lasted for almost a year. I think the key to Japanese hair straightening is to find a good hairdresser, and usually a good ionic perm takes more than 5 hours. Last time I had a Japanese hairdresser do my hair. It was more expensive than the one I usually went, but the result was much worse than the place I used to go. My hair only looked good for one day, and then it started to look really dry. Some barbershop use stronger chemical so that they can make your hair soft sooner ( so they can do more ppl in one day) but this usually burns your hair. So, if someone tells you he/she can do it in 4 or 5 hours, don\'t go there.
  15. sweetbbgirl27

sweetbbgirl27 Full Member

Hey Guys,

I just got my hair striaghtened in the middle of June and I love it. I have naturally wavey yet I have some straight strands. I have Asian hair. My friend recommended me to this place in Richmond called Ozou Hair Design. I was really scared of getting my hair straight at first because I did it before at a Japanese hair salon and they killed my hair and it went even more wavey. But anyways, this friend that recommended to Ozou Hair Design has really frizzy hair and she promised me that the owner of the Salon can striaghten my hair STRIAGHT. AND SHE WAS RIGHT. My hair turned out straight and shiny after. The process took 6 hours though because the owner of the salon does your hair. He is the only person working at the Salon and he actually takes his time to do your hair and explains the process at the same time. The owner also teaches you tricks to handle your hair after so that the straightening can remain longer. He only accepts cash and the cost is 200 dollars. Its really worth it. It is August now and my hair is still striaght and shiney. I totally recommend this place --> Ozou Hair Design in Richmond
  16. shopaholic_goddess

shopaholic_goddess Full Member

i would recommend you to get that type of japanese straightening for your hair if you really want no frizzy hair. my cousin is born with really frizzy hair and she got that type of treatment to change her hair alot. Because if your hair is really born frizzy, you cannot make major changes to your hairstyles because they dont often fit your hair texture. using a straightening iron really damages your hair also, so i'd recommend you to try japanese straightening, but dont expect your hair to look like it's from ads, because most of the time it's FAKE! lookout and compare prices!