Memoirs of a Geisha

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jadore_dior, Dec 20, 2005.

1. jadore_dior

jadore_dior Full Member

Has anyone seen Memoirs of a Geisha? I kind of want to see it but am a little upset that only 1 of the Geisha\'s are ACTUALLY Japanese. The book is one of my favorites. The kimono\'s used in the movie are supposed to be absoltley gorgeous!!!:(
  2. Ruby

Ruby Full Member

I heard that the kimonos made are by hand and real silk so the cost is approx or can be up to $50,000 if its really extravagant. They are so pretty. How is the book? I was thinking of getting it.
  3. mr.x

mr.x Full Member

i heard this movie was really boring... but i\'ll still give it a chance ;)
  4. canido

canido Full Member

My cousin just watched it yesterday and he said that there is not much of a sound effect that you\'ll have to go watch it in the theaters. I have gotten mixed reviews from my friends about this movie, some people thought it was so boring that they actually left 1/2 way in the movie but others thought the story was really wow! So i guess, you either really like it or dislike it.
  5. RichardWilinski

RichardWilinski Full Member

This movie is a total chick flick. My girlfriend enjoyed it but I was mostly falling asleep:pinch:

Zhang Ziyi and Gong Li are cute though ;)

6. pandalover

pandalover Ultimate Deal Queen

I would really suggest reading the book. It\'s amazing and beautifully written. I would stay up really late reading it. I read the book before the movie came out, and was really disappointed with the movie. They left some parts of the book out EX. one of the dances, and the ending.
  7. canido

canido Full Member

i read the book was soo deeply moved by its language and description. So after reading it, i had really high expectations for the movie.

but yeah, the movie sucked. I fast forward most of it just to see what the difference was. they missed soooo many crucial details.
  8. Rachel

Rachel Full Member

Finally saw the movie, and I agree with most of the comments. Beautiful book, but sucky movie!!So Hollywood, it doesn\'t do the book any justice!
  9. samantha

samantha Full Member

book is waaaaaay better than the book!
    missed out some parts and not as detailed as the book
  10. Katie

Katie Full Member

Yeah i just bought the book, and just started it yesturday. i\'m really looking forward to it!! Movies are RARELY ever as good as the books. Take White Oleandor for example, its a really really really amazing boook, but the movie wasn\'t half as good. And Where The Heart Is, the book is much more detailed and real, than the movie. If you haven\'t read the book of movies, then they\'re usually good, but when you\'ve read the book, theres no comparison.
  11. greenercheese

greenercheese Full Member

i saw it. i was kind of confused at the begining but it was a pretty good movie. i would recomend it!
  12. pandalover

pandalover Ultimate Deal Queen

You must read the book! It's sooo good:p
  13. moonprism

moonprism Full Member

I think the book is beautiful, and the movie isn't as good but I still like it..