Prom Dressessss!!!!

Discussion in 'Apparel & Shopping' started by mimoo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

Does any one know anywhere that would have nice prom dresses that are nice brands? Because I\'m looking for a prom dress and im not sure where to start looking. I dont want something that everyone else would have, I want something thats unique and one of a kind. :)
  2. taremi

taremi Full Member

what my boyfriend\'s sister did was she went \'vintage\' dress shopping on main st.!
    there are many second hand shops on main, and most of them only buy or consign clothing that is in very good condition so you might want to take a look!!!
    my bf\'s sister got a middle length classy dress for under $100!!!
    it was definitely one of a kind!!!

otherwise, i guess buying your dress online is another option.

i\'m actually looking for a prom dress for my sister too!
  3. canido

canido Full Member

I think their is this place in Oakridge called \"After 5\"..they have a wide selection of dresses there. You can go take a looksie.

Good luck prom dress hunting!
  4. canido

canido Full Member

Oh yeah, if you drive down to the state often.

There is this place in seattle called Loehmans, they carry an array of brand name dresses for cheap.

Try Ross in the states too for dresses, if you are lucky, you might find somethign ultra nice and ultra cheap.
  5. fro

fro Full Member

if ur not too worried about heavy prices...theres a lot of places in metrotown..i forget the store but i got my prom dress frum it i think its the one that persian ppl own and they have AMAZING stuff...relli unusual and only carry 1-3 pieces of the same one..i think its near the sears entrance on the second florr..not sure tho..alota these stores will have sale racks as well ...my friend got a nice prom dress for like 180$ while mine ran to about 450$

Post edited by: fro, at: 2006/03/20 13:37
  6. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

Thanks guys for all the tips. Ill go check out those places and see if i find a nice prom dress.
  7. Viv1985

Viv1985 Full Member

Go to Mariposa for prom dresses! :)
  8. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

Thanks for the advice but any one can get a dress from mariposa; probably most people will. I guess ill just have to see my luck else where.
  9. jmw1

jmw1 Full Member

Yea... don\'t go to mariposa.
    I would suggest checking out... east hastings i believe in burnaby? I\'m not good with street names but I\'m pretty sure this is the street that has store after store of grad dresses. You can also look at the main street in new west. It also has about 10 stores atleast where you could look.
    Looking back at my grad, I kind of wish I did the same thing my friend did. She ended up buying a dress from bcbg. She spent about the same amount of money but she can wear it again. So, you could invest in an expensive dress that you wouldn\'t normally buy. If you want to find some nice bcbg dresses, you can also look on ebay. You can get some really good deals.
  10. mimoo

mimoo Full Member

Yah thats what i was thinking too; buy a dress that I can wear in the future too. I wanted this dress from bebe but then i wasnt sure it was liek prom material. But thanks for the help=)
  11. canido

canido Full Member

Dont worry ...during my prom year the range was phenomnal. Some girl wore cinderella gowns, and others wore simple black dresses (like the ones for winter formal).
  12. fro

fro Full Member

oo sum other places to check wud have to be bridal stores...luk at the bridesmaid dresses!...theres a relli big one sumwhere on main st in van...but u cud luk in the yellow pages or sumthin..and also a few relli nice dress stores in like the azian malls like parker place...my friend got hers frum there few yrs ago..they tend to put their prices high tho :angry: ....and i agree mariposa USE to be nice back in the day ...now its kinda :sick:
  13. roxXxy85

roxXxy85 Full Member

i was just going to say...BCBG has gorgeous dresses and since its not really...PROM in canada...its more GRAD dinner dance type deal. the puffy \"prom\" look is definately out. plus going for a more dinner cocktail dress is always a look thatll stay in. therefore guaranteeing a second outting for that dress. another good store is Betsey Johnson. i dunno what type of dresses youre looking for...but if you wanna look unique and making sure youre dress isnt worn by someone else youll have to look at the higher end stuff or make it yourself. basically go for stores not located in a mall!
  14. tjeng

tjeng Full Member

Yeah.... I definitely agree with RoXxy85. BCBG has a lot of gorgeous dresses; they are more for cocktail parties, but the looks are fashionable, unique, and versatile. You can wear them later on for sure.
    I know that Betsey Johnson near Robson also has some nice stuff, so you can check them out.
    But if you feel that you want to make it very specially for \"PROM\" type of thing, then i know that my friend who graduated last year got a photo of a designer gown (i think it was Vera Wang) and got it custom-made for her. (I am doing the same thing as well this year)So that would be an option as well. Don\'t go for stores at Metrotown or in any mall because chances are you will end up wearing something similar or identical to some other girl. So you can avoid it... Vintage shops are another alternative, but that depends more on luck.
    Good luck and have fun dress shopping!!
  15. xoxjuicy

xoxjuicy Full Member

Betsey Johnson!!ohh I LOVE Betsey Johnson dresses.. they\'re so pretty and original and unique!!!!
    But BCBG also has some nice ones..
  16. fro

fro Full Member

i dunt relli see the problem with the mall if its a unique store..its relli up to u..but if u do go to the mall definitley make sure the store is organized enuf were they write down ur name and wut skool..most good places will do this so u dunt end up identical!! :)
  17. Babyblues

Babyblues Full Member

ya the one\'s on hastings that has grad dresses is right before boundary, on the vancouver side, right across from kootenay loop. There are like 4 or 5 stores around there
    I actually got my dress made there, i designed it myself and then got them to make it, and it actually only cost like less that $200 total. I even got a purse made too! Mine was cheaper than a lot of other girls that i knew.
    Honestly, don\'t buy accessories that you\'re never going to use again, like grad shoes. i bought mine for my dress, and they killed my feet, and i never wore them again! lol.
  18. jaine

jaine Full Member

hii! i\'m looking for a prom dress as well - right now i have one that i orderred online; but i already wore it once to a wedding and it wasn\'t exactly .. \"impressive\" .. and i really want something different. i don\'t want to go to the bridal shops that they have.. becuase i kno everybody goes there; you guys talked about vintage shops? where can i go for those? and main? where exactly on main are you guys talking about?
  19. taremi

taremi Full Member

>jaine
    my bf\'s sister got her dress at a store called \"barefoot contessa\" i believe.
    somewhere around 20th and main.
    i suggest that you just walk up main from around broadway up till 25th, and just go into all the stores you see!!
    i\'m not sure if they have prom dresses, but i love this consignment store called \'front & co.\'!
    its around 20-something-th and main... sorry about the vagueness!
    this store has brands for cheap! and really nice clothing... in very good condition.